Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Ultimate Spring Photo road trip #1


A few days ago I posted The Ultimate Photo road trip (Fall) and it was kind of fun detailing some of the things I need to visit or revisit during the fall.  Now it's time for Spring.  This will be a bit more difficult because there are 2 completely different trips that come to mind so you'll have to indulge me with #1 and #1A which will come in a day or two.  For now, though, on with #1.

It's no secret that I'm a fan of the Pacific Northwest (or Pacific Southwest if you include British Columbia) and I try to visit there every chance I get.  I didn't live there for a very long time, only about 3 years total, but they were some of the best 3 years of my life.  I made some lifelong friends and spent some glorious summers there.  Some consider it a tragedy that while I lived there I didn't even own a camera much less have any intention of becoming a photographer.  So strap in and here we go.

It's a comfortable day's drive from Denver to the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area.  I've become quite enamored with the Signal Mountain Lodge when I stay in the Tetons.  It's a 5 minute walk from your cabin to the beach and a sunrise reflection of Mt Moran and the Tetons in Jackson Lake.  It's also a 5 minute drive to the Oxbow Bend and an easy 20 or 30 minute drive to Moulton's Barn or Schwabacher Landing.  The photo ops here are limitless.  I've got some pretty nice sunrise images from the beach so I'd have to flip a coin between the other 3 locations.  Might even have to spend 2 days and nights here and hope I'm lucky enough to catch a glimpse of Grizzly #399 and whatever collection of cubs she has.

Leaving the Tetons is always tough for me but I have a long ways to go and a short time to get there so once I've sated my Jones for the Tetons it's north into Yellowstone.  I usually spend most of my Yellowstone time in the Lamar Valley and sleep somewhere in Cooke City but this time I'm going to stay either in West Yellowstone, Mammoth, or possibly Canyon.  If Heather is with me it will be West since she wants to see the captive wolves and grizzlies there.  Who knows...maybe a night in West and then choose between Mammoth and Canyon or Roosevelt Cabins and spend a day or two in the Lamar.

Leaving Yellowstone it gets a little tricky and my next destination will depend on how early in the Spring this trip is taken.  In a perfect world I'd be taking this trip the first or second week of June and while I'd love to spend some time in Glacier, I think that deserves a week in and of itself so that's for a later trip.  Next on the location I'm headed for the Palouse region of Eastern Washington.  I've never photographed there so it's definitely on my bucket list and a strong candidate for a June trip.  Base of ops is Pullman with Steptoe Butte definitely on the list for sunrise.  1 maybe 2 days here then north again.

From Pullman I'm headed north for another long driving day.  I'm headed north and will spend 2 or 3 days in the Banff area.  Last time here I split my time between Banff and Jasper and really didn't have time to do justice to either one.  So this time it's Banff and the other Canadian parks that are on the Trans Canada Highway.

From Banff and Yoho I'm headed to Vancouver.  Have I mentioned that I love Vancouver?  It's probably one of my top 3 favorite cities on the planet.  The photo ops here are limitless but I'm only spending 1 night because I need to get down to Mt Vernon and Anacortes.  The image at the top of this blog is from the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival.  That happens in April so I've missed it.  That will allow me to head into the Cascades and visit some of my old haunts.  Concrete, Darrington, Rockport, and other small towns along the Skagit and Sauk rivers.  I'll also be coordinating with my college roommates to spend some time drinking beer, telling lies, and generally catching up with old friends. Next time I'm here I'll head out into the San Juans for a whale watching cruise and hopefully see some Orcas...next time.

From Anacortes I'm headed south across the bridge at Deception Pass and down Whidbey Island to catch a ferry to the Olympic Penninsula.  I'm going to take 2 days to work my way down the coast with some time spent in the Ho Rain Forest as well as some of the ocean beaches, maybe even keeping on down the coast to Oregon.

About this time I need to start heading home.  With any luck I've photographed everything I wanted to see on this trip so it's just a matter of heading home.  Lots of driving, at least 2 weeks on the road, and some marvelous images and memories.  What a trip.  Stay tuned for Spring 1A.

No comments:

Post a Comment