Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Ultimate Photo Road Trip (Fall)


I've just returned home after 12 days out of town.  Essentially it was a 2 day trip followed by a weekend wedding of my daughter, followed by a week of hanging out with family and friends in Sedona, AZ, then the trip home via the southern route.  (Phoenix to Tombstone to Albuquerque to Denver)  Nothing out of the ordinary except that our route took me through some areas I'd never seen before.  Over and over again I found myself saying "I need to come back and photograph that..." which started my mind working and thus, the Ultimate Photo Road Trip (Fall version)  Keep in mind, this trip would require quite a lot of time so it may not occur for a year or two but here's how it goes. 

Sometime in late September: 

Parker to Walsenburg, CO.  Spend a night in Walsenburg and head down the Highway of Legends from LaVeta to Trinidad, CO.  I've driven over Cuchara Pass before and the display of changing aspens can in some years rival Kebler Pass near Crested Butte.  Spend a sunrise and mid-morning shooting aspens before heading down to Trinidad and back onto I-25.

Trinidad, CO to Santa Fe, NM:  Driving north on I-25 today I was impressed by the poofy white clouds and the patterns they make on the prairies just north of Las Vegas, NM.  Given the right conditions and spending some time to find a suitable foreground subject, this could make a powerful image.  On to Santa Fe and spend a night here.  Great food and wonderful galleries to kill some time.

Santa Fe, NM to ????:  Here is the first option.  From Santa Fe head south either straight down I-25 to Socorro, NM for a sunset and sunrise at Bosque Del Apache or take Hwy 285 south to Alamagordo, NM and spend a sunset and sunrise at White Sands.  I'm not sure if it's too early in the year for cranes to be at Bosque and currently my longest lens is a 70-200mm so I'd probably opt for White Sands.  Of course there's the possibility of driving to Bosque after the sunset at White Sands.  Time to choose!

Alamagordo, NM to Dragoon Mountains, AZ:  Whether it's Bosque or White Sands, after shooting the sunrise I'd head south and hit I-10 somewhere around Las Cruces, NM.  For the most part this is a pretty boring drive heading west into AZ but there are some areas where the right sky and clouds might make an interesting image looking across the basins.  Mostly I'd be concerned with getting to the Dragoons by late afternoon.  When we drove through there a few days ago the rock formations near I-10 would be amazing in the right light.  Head on into Benson, AZ for the night.

Benson AZ to Tombstone to Tucson, AZ:  We spent some time in Tombstone but due to a late start from Phoenix and hotel reservations in Albuquerque we didn't have nearly enough time to spend there.  I'd like to spend at least 3 or 4 hours in Tombstone but that's another blog for another time.  On to Tucson for late afternoon shooting of San Xavier del Bac mission in Tucson and sunset at Saguaro National Park.  From here it's a short drive to Erin and Sean's house in Queen Creek to spend the night.

Phoenix to Tuba City, AZ:  No real sunrise shoot in mind here so have a leisurely breakfast with the kids before heading north towards Flagstaff and on to Tuba City.  From Tuba it's not too far to Coal Mine Canyon which I've seen images of from other shooters and would like to see for myself.  Then there's another secret location near Marble Canyon that requires a campout to appreciate sunset and sunrise light. 

Marble Canyon, AZ to Farmington, NM:  Here's another choice depending on how the mood hits me. Leave the Marble Canyon area and head to Page, AZ for some time in Antelope Canyon.  I haven't been there in a few years and could use some new digital files from Lower Antelope.  From there head to Kayenta and make a decision:  north to Monument Valley or southeast to Farmington and Bisti Badlands.  I've been to MV several times and while it's definitely not old hat, this time I'm headed for Bisti. Hopefully I'll get there in time to hike into the Badlands for sunset.  Definitely I'll spend a sunrise there.

Farmington, NM to ???:  Here's another tricky spot and this one depends on the weather.  If there's snow or the possibility of it I'm headed southeast towards Taos. I've never driven that route and have no idea of the photographic possibilities but I'm sure it would be wonderful.  If we have nice weather I'm going up through the San Juans for more changing aspens.  Durango to Silverton, Dallas Divide, then over Kebler Pass to Crested Butte.  This will most likely be my last night on the road as it's a short 4 hour drive home from CB. 

So there you have it.  10 nights, probably 2000 miles or more, and numerous photo possibilities.  If I were to take this trip I'd probably play tourist or spend an extra night or two at Erin and Sean's making it into a 14 day trip.  What do you think?  What's your Ultimate photo road trip? 

No comments:

Post a Comment