Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Breakfast Follies


Okay, I admit 2 things about this blog.  First, this image has nothing to do with the blog...I just like it.  Second and more importantly, I am blatantly stealing this idea from a blog written by Todd "Cloudman" Caudle, one of the best Nature Photographers around.  I read a similar entry on his blog and it made me laugh out loud so I feel compelled to relate my similar experience.

Once in a while, probably way too often, I stop in at Jack in the Box near my home to pick up breakfast.  It's the same time of day, about 6:30 am and I always order the same things:  Grilled Breakfast Sandwich and a medium Diet Dr. Pepper.  Always the same, and I always order it the same way.  Problem is, the folks at Jack's place are tasked with selling up.  And the conversation usually goes like this:

JITB:  Welcome to Jack In the Box..my name is (fill in the blank), would you like to try our Jumbo Breakfast Platter (this changes based on what new stuff they have on the menu) today?

Me:  No thank you.  I'd like a Grilled Breakfast Sandwich and a medium Diet Dr Pepper and that's all.

JITB:  Would you like to add hash browns and make that a meal?

Me:  No thank you.  Grilled Breakfast Sandwich and medium Diet Dr Pepper and that's all.

JITB:  Do I have your order correct on the screen? 

Me:  Yes.

Then I pull around to the window to pay and get my stuff.

JITB:  How has your visit been today?

Me: Just fine thanks. 

That's how it usually goes.  Sometimes, though, I have a tendency to be a bit grumpy in the morning and there's a whole new dynamic.  After the same conversation every time I go in there, one day I was a bit cranky.

JITB:  Welcome to Jack in the Box, my name is (fill in the blank) would you like to try our new Uber Hyper Mega Breakfast Platter today?

Me:  No thank you, I'd like a Grilled Breakfast Sandwich and a medium Diet Dr Pepper and THAT'S ALL!

JITB:  Would you like to add hash browns and make that a meal?

Me:  No...when I say That's all, it means that's all...I don't want hash browns.  If I wanted hash browns I'd order the #7 meal.

JITB:  Is your order correct on the screen?

Me:  No...I said DIET Dr Pepper, not Dr Pepper.

JITB:  Is your order correct on the screen now?

Me:  Yes, thank you.

I pull around to the window to get my food.

JITB:  How has your visit been today? 

Me:  I'm a little tired of 20 questions and when I order and say "That's All" I mean that's all.  Can I just get my order and move on?

Yes, I am quite aware that I'm a jerk sometimes and this is one of those times.  But sometimes I wonder what part of "That's All" they have problems with?  Maybe it's just me.

Thanks Todd, for the laughs and the inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment