Sunday, September 18, 2011

Razing Arizona: Musings on 10 days in the Southwest



We've just returned from a 10 day trip to Arizona spent primarily in Sedona but also we had some time in the Phoenix area and a brief visit to Tombstone.  During the trip our daughter Erin got married, we spent a brief time at the Grand Canyon, and got to spend some time palling around with my sisters.  The following are some observations from that trip.


The place we stayed in Sedona was very nice.  High end...but they charge for internet.  During our trip to Sedona and the trip home we stayed at Super 8, Springhill Suites, and Marriott Courtyard and every one of them offered free internet.  Why is it that high end hotels and resorts all charge up to $10 a day for wifi? 

Speaking of high end, my sisters stayed at a high end resort owned by the same company that owned our place.  During their week in Sedona they had to change rooms 4 times.  Dirty furniture, leaky roof, plugged toilet, you name it.  Just goes to show you that in some cases price has very little to do with pleasant accomodations.

It rained every day we were in Sedona mostly in the late afternoon or evening.  It kept the temperatures very pleasant but totally ruined my plans for night shots.  I thought the monsoon season was over! 

The weather for Erin and Sean's wedding was marvelous.  Granted, it rained like crazy about 2 hours after the ceremony but we were inside at the reception dinner and dance by then so no harm, no foul.

As for the wedding, it was very special.  Erin was a beautiful bride, the ceremony was great, and a good time was had by all.  Erin did all the planning and everything she did was perfect.  I'm very proud of my little girl.

While in Sedona we toook a day trip to the Grand Canyon.  On the highway between Flagstaff and Tusayn we ran through a severe thunderstorm and some hail.  The road got slick and the car in front of us did a couple of 360's but didn't hit the ditch.  A few hundred yards farther down the road we came a cross a vehicle that wasn't so lucky.  I repeat, isn't monsoon season supposed to be over?

I've been wanting to visit Tombstone and got a chance on this trip.  To say the least I was underwhelmed and disappointed.  Not only were all the attractions walled in and charging admission.  Basically, anything you want to do or see in Tombstone costs a minimum of $6 ($10 if you stay for the gunfight)  I don't know what I was expecting but this certainly wasn't it.

There are a lot of areas along the highways in Arizona and New Mexico that I would like to photograph.  It just requires being in the right place at the right time, not driving past during the middle of the day.  Always have a reason to make another trip.

By my count there are 12 roundabouts between Oak Creek where the wedding was held, and our condo in West Sedona. I always thought the Pilgrims came here to escape European oppression.  Now we're trying to copy their traffic systems?  Just pay the extra money and install traffic lights for crying out loud.

Sedona Golf Resort did a great job on the wedding.  The location was perfect, the food was fantastic, and everything went off without a hitch.  Given the mad cash I dropped on this wedding, wouldn't you think they could show a brother some love and comp greens fees for me?  They were willing to comp the groom but not the father of the bride.  Unbelievable...he didn't pay them a cent!

You would think that by September the sun would have warmed up the waters at Slide Rock State Park but no....it was freakin cold!  And I really need to lose some weight.  After sliding down the chutes a couple times I was sitting in the sun warming up and everyone wanted to roll me back into the water.  They were all shouting "Free Willy!"


All in all, it was a wonderful trip.  Erin and Sean had a beautiful wedding, we got to spend some time with friends and family, and I was able to spend some time in one of my favorite areas.  Definitely a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment