Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I seeeee Nothink!




I don't usually go on rants and I'm not going to go off this time. Well, maybe just a little, but mostly I want to discuss what I perceive to be a disturbing trend in the National Parks and National Forests. It might be that I'm just paranoid, or there could be a completely plausible explanation. Then, again, maybe I'm onto something.

It has to do with Rangers and my attempts at information gathering. Don't get me wrong, I have tremendous respect for the men and women that work for the Park Service or Forest Service. They have terribly difficult jobs to do and they take it all in stride and smile through even the most inane of questions. They spend a good deal of their time protecting fuzzy woodland creatures from idiot people and equally as much time protecting the people from the creatures. A thankless job? In most cases...but when I was in college in the 70's one of my ambitions was to be Mr. Ranger Sir. I even spent 2 summers working for the U.S. Forest Service based in Darrington, WA.

In the more recent past I've had the opportunity to spend time in several National Parks and Monuments and travelled through countless National Forests and I've always been impressed with the amount of information I could gather in a 5 minute conversation with one of the rangers. Where have the wolves or grizzlies been most frequently spotted? Where are the most impressive displays of wildflowers? Is there a bigger bull elk in Morraine Park than the one I've been photographing in Horseshoe Park? All the information I need to be successful in my never ending search for new images. But lately there's been a change, and I don't much like it.

I started getting this feeling in the summer of 2009. I was planning a trip to Southeast Utah for 8 days of photography and started doing my usual research to get more information on how to find a site called False Kiva in Canyonlands National Park. I knew that several of the folks posting on one of the forums I read had been there and others had tried to find it unsuccessfully. The trend that ran through most of the threads was that while Park Rangers are obligated to disclose it's location, they would often refuse or simply not comment. I understand the concept behind non-disclosure of the locations of fragile cliff dwellings or rock art. The amount of vandalism is unbelievable so I don't have much of a problem with keeping those places secret. But False Kiva isn't in that category and to flatly refuse to divulge it's location is concerning.

When I visited Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks in 2007 I spent quite a bit of time talking to rangers in both parks about where I could most likely find the critters I wanted to photograph and in every instance they were very forthcoming with the information though with the caveat that animals are very unpredictable and their information might not be accurate. They even kept a notebook of animal sightings on the counter at the visitor centers so you could see where the most critters were being spotted. But in 2010 that was all changed.

When Heather and I visited Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks in May of this year I naturally went to the Rangers for information....and was stonewalled. When asked if there were any fresh carcasses near roads I was given no information. When I asked where to find the nest of the Great Horned Owl near the visitor center in Mammoth nobody seemed to know. In Grand Teton when I asked if anyone had spotted Bear #399 they looked at me like I was speaking Martian. Not only that, but the notebooks containing records of sightings were nowhere to be found.

More recently I visited Coconino National Forest and the area around Sedona, AZ for a quick shooting trip. I stopped at the Visitor Center south of the Village of Oak Creek to look at maps and get some information. One of the folks in a Ranger uniform was literally following me around asking if I had any questions or needed help with anything. When I asked about the West Fork of Oak Creek Canyon he was only too happy to point it out on the map but when I asked how far up the Canyon I had to go to find the overhang with the reflecting pool, again I got the look like I was speaking a language from outer space. It was as if someone had flipped his switch to the OFF position. There was even a large photo of the area in question hanging on the wall and I pointed to it when I asked the question. No response...

I suppose it's possible that all the Rangers I approached honestly didn't know the answers to the questions I was asking but consider this: Rangers in Yellowstone and Grand Teton are tasked with controlling traffic for critter jams and also for removing carcasses that are too close to the road so Joe Tourist won't get chewed by a bear. They have radios and everyone on the Park frequency knows instantly where the jams are. The West Fork of Oak Creek is billed in every tourist guide as "..the most popular day hike in Arizona" yet nobody seemed to know where to find the location I was interested in. Coincidence? I think not!

How bout you? Have you experienced similar refusals to disclose information at a National Park or Monument? Leave a comment and let's hear about it.





No comments:

Post a Comment