Saturday, November 13, 2010

Another Year Older


Photographically speaking, 2010 is done.  Cameras and lenses have been cleaned and stowed.  Memory cards have been downloaded to both computers and my external hard drive.  The best of the best files have been edited and uploaded to the website.  Now only 2 chores remain:  I need to select an image to print for my annual special edition Christmas cards and I need to pick my favorite image and print it for the 2011 Rocky Mountain Nature Photographers White Elephant Print exchange.  Simple, right?  Not so fast, camera boy.....I've taken some pretty remarkable photo trips this year and choosing a favorite image is more difficult than I thought it would be.

**After further reflection I decided to add this link to a gallery on my website containing all the images referenced below.  This way you don't have to click on every one then hit the back button on the browser to get back to the blog. http://wcbeanphoto.photium.com/portfolio133636.html

In January we had to take Heather back to Eastern New Mexico University in Roswell and I was able to detour for a sunset and sunrise shooting at Bosque Del Apache.  I'd heard of Bosque and read about it for years but this was my first trip there and it was amazing.  Thousands of Sandhill Cranes, tens of thousands of Snow Geese.  And despite my inexperience at shooting birds in flight I was able to make some wonderful images including this one:  http://wcbeanphoto.photium.com/photo7555642.html 

In March I made my annual pilgrimage to Phoenix to visit my Daughter and Granddaughter.  We saw a Rockies spring training game and I was able to slip off one morning for a drive up the Apache Trail where I captured some extraordinary images.  Here's my favorite from that shoot:  http://wcbeanphoto.photium.com/photo5180843.html

Heather was home again for a late spring break and to celebrate her upcoming graduation she and I took a trip to visit Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks.  She's been asking me for a while to go there and this was our chance.  We saw grizzly bears, black bears, elk, bison, moose, coyotes, and of course the wonderful scenery.  I've always loved seeing the Tetons and on this trip the weather conditions came together for a terrific sunrise.  http://wcbeanphoto.photium.com/photo5269818.html

July saw us on 2 trips.  Judy and I spent 4th of July weekend at a lovely B&B in Taos and even though the main focus (pun intended) of the trip was not photography, heck, I never travel without at least 1 camera.  I found some images around Taos, mostly of the architecture there and found a wonderful image at the church in Rancho De Taos.  http://wcbeanphoto.photium.com/photo5504914.html

Later in July we were back in Roswell again for Heather's graduation.  We had 2 vehicles so I made a side trip on the way back home that was pretty uneventful.  Despite that, I was able to shoot one sunrise that proved to be one of the most colorful ones I've ever seen.  They really play up the alien thing in Roswell and the way the trees glow at sunrise....well, you be the judge. http://wcbeanphoto.photium.com/photo5907679.html

There were no special photo trips in August but I did spend a little time in the sunflower fields north of Longmont and came home with some very nice images.  I'm in the process of printing a 5 print series for a wall display and this is one of my favorites.  http://wcbeanphoto.photium.com/photo5931259.html

In September we traveled to South Dakota for a family visit and I was able to spend an afternoon shooting in the Badlands.  I'd shot there before but as nearly as I can remember it was nearly 30 years ago so I was quite excited to spend some time there again.  Some nice images and one terrific sunset.
http://wcbeanphoto.photium.com/photo6237648.html 

Then October.  At the end of the month I had some vacation time to burn so I flew to Phoenix for a long weekend with Erin and her family and a side trip to Sedona.  I always love spending time with my girls and Sedona was incredible.  I spent one afternoon in West Fork Canyon photographing fall colors and had a terrific time.  Here is my favorite from that trip.  http://wcbeanphoto.photium.com/photo7427256.html

Now it's November and I've just celebrated (?) another birthday which has caused me to be a bit maudlin and reflect on what I've done this year.  I took some wonderful trips and created some images that really move me.  As far as deciding which is my favorite, well, I just can't.  So I've opened this blog with an image of my favorite Greek Goddess, my granddaughter Katrina.  Funny that I've created so many wonderful images this year but my hands down favorite is this one that I didn't shoot. 

So which one is your favorite?  Leave a comment and let me know.

1 comment:

  1. These are all excellent so it is difficult to choose. The ones on your home page slide show are also fantastic. I assume those are not new or from this year? If selecting from those and the ones you included above I'd pick 1) the barn at the foot of the Rockies (that is just incredible!). If choosing only from above I'd have to go with the canyon. The sunflowers come in at a tie for 2nd with the the cranes. Good luck picking. Obviously I can't do it!

    ReplyDelete