Sunday, May 8, 2011

A New Beginning (and a new bucket)


It was a dark and stormy.....Nah, that one's been taken.
It was the best of times, it was the worst....Nah, that one's taken too.  Wait...I've got it!  Try this one...

It was windy and overcast when I started up the trail to Delicate Arch.  Yeah!  That's it!  A great new beginning.  And a very incongruous statement for a couple of different reasons.  First, the clouds were building in the west and I knew there was not going to be epic light on the arch.  Normally I would have bagged it and headed back to the hot tub at the hotel. 

Second, I have been to Delicate Arch before.  I knew it was 1 1/2 miles uphill to get there and it was going to be a tough hike for me.   I knew because I'd had tremendous trouble with the Klondike Bluffs trail the day before.  The first pitch of that trail was more difficult than the Delicate Arch trail.  It was very steep and involved a lot of steps up, not just going uphill over slickrock.  By the time I got to the first ridge I was gasping for breath, my knees and thighs were aching, and I was probably 1/4 mile behind Bret and Scott in the first 10 minutes.  I saw the trail start downhill and knew I could probably make it down there but if I did someone would end up carrying my happy butt out of there cause I'd never make it back up.  Too many cheeseburgers, circus animal frosted cookies, and nachos finally caught up with me. 

I stayed on the ridge and found some pretty decent images so all was not lost.  After making my way down the hill in the semi darkness after sunset I was at the trailhead talking to a few others in the group of RMNP folks that had come to Moab for the weekend.  That's when my new friend/photographer buddy Tim uttered the most prophetic statement I've heard in a long time.  We were talking about another get together in Moab next spring and discussing the trouble we'd had keeping up with the others going up the hill and he said "I look at this as a beginning...when we get back here next year I'm going to be in shape to keep up and this is the beginning of that process."  Thank you, Tim, for shining the light into my brain.

I came to Moab this weekend ostensibly to hang out with friends and create some great new images and both of those things happened.  But there was a disturbance in the force...something else occupying my thoughts.  You see, 10 days ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer.  Don't be alarmed...my Urologist has assured me that this cancer won't kill me.  I may die with prostate cancer but I won't die OF prostate cancer.  Nevertheless, the "C" word is a sobering thing and I came here to spend some time alone after all the other photographers headed home Sunday morning.  I spent the day deep in thought, trying to decide what to do for the rest of the day and, more importantly, the rest of my life.

While heading back to Moab from Onion Creek I started thinking about what Tim had said and as if someone had turned on a light bulb in my brain I had The Epiphany!  Driving down the Colorado River towards Moab I came across some kayakers taking turns surfing a wave in the river and they were having such a grand time I figured that Kayaking should be added to my new bucket list.  It was lunch time so I stopped to watch them while I ate and that's when it hit me...this disease isn't an end to anything...it's a beginning to the rest of my life.  Then the revised bucket list and watershed events in my life started to bombard my senses.  Here's what I came up with.
First, the critical events of this year: 


1.  In November I turn 60.  That's 6/10's of a century!  Damn, no wonder I'm starting to fall apart.  My cardio vascular capacity is pathetic.  My muscle tone is deplorable.  In short, I'm a physical mess.

2.  My eldest child is getting married in September.  It's going to be a glorious event and I'm really looking forward to it. 

3.  I've made it to the 10th year of employment with my current employer and got that extra week of vacation!  Whooooo hoooooo

4.  Yes, I do have prostate cancer and something needs to be done.  I have some decisions to make

So with those things in mind, I'm going to have to come up with a new bucket list.  I'll let you know when it's ready for release but rest assured, #1 and #2 will be to get this cancer cured and get in better shape.  And that's what made me decide to make the trip to Delicate Arch despite knowing how much difficulty I was going to have.  I made it to the top and it was a lung busting bitch.  But I had to do this you see. This is the New Beginning.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bill,

    I had no idea you had all this going on in your head during our brief but enjoyable time together this weekend. It sounds like you've got a great attitude about the situation and certainly you've got a lot to look forward to this year and beyond. I wish you the very best, my friend. I have no doubt you'll kick the cancer's ass. I'm already looking forward to seeing you again, whenver and wherever that may be.

    ReplyDelete